[GRASS-stats] rgdal for R 2.7?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Mar 10 08:15:25 EST 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Hamish wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get spgrass6 running on Debian/stable which ships with
> R 2.7.1, and clean up the GRASS/R wiki page while I'm at it:
>
>   http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/R
>
> as the GRASS/R docs seem in need of some consolidation and updating.
>

> I get as far as installing the rgdal package, which complains that it is
> not available.
>
> The package page shows that it wants R >= 2.10.0
>   http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rgdal/index.html
>
> I'd like to try and keep the official 2.7 R package if at all possible.
> (I'm a guest on this machine)
>

> I see a bunch of old rgdal versions in the archive; according to the
> spgrass6 dependency listing anything newer than 0.6-7 (Feb-2009) should
> be ok.
> http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/rgdal/
>

> Is there any way to tell which is the most modern one of those that
> will still work with R 2.7.1?  (faster than download, inspect, repeat,..)

Hi,

Check the dates for a version current when 2.7.1 was current and maybe get
more recent. Do the same with sp if it complains - the most recent one
needs >= 2.9.1

Hope this helps,

Roger

PS. Debian policy is very odd, R is three stable releases on from there,
maybe ask on the R-sig-deb (or similar) list.