[GRASS-stats] Error using GRASS from R

Tim Besser bessertim at gmx.de
Wed Jul 20 12:00:16 EDT 2011

Dear GRASS-community,

I have a very strange problem. I wrote a script in R (2.10.1) for the
preparation of my datasets which works fine on my laptop (winxp). I do
not start my R session from GRASS but use GRASS through the initGRASS
and execGRASS commands. I use the "spgrass6" package and GRASS 6.4.1. As
the script would run for days on my old laptop I now got a remote
desktop connection to a much faster computer at the university (win7).
However, while cmds like r.reclass or r.in.gdal (execGRASS) work on that
computer the r.patch (execGRASS) cmd produces following error:

execGRASS("r.patch", flags=c("z"),
parameters=list(input="mangroves_1989_138_044_LR_recl,mangroves_1989_138_045_UL_recl,mangroves_1989_138_045_UR_recl",
output="testomat"), intern=T)

Error in system(cmd0, intern = TRUE) :
   Createprocess konnte 'C:\GRASS6~1.1\bin\RPATCH~1.EXE
--interface-description' nicht ausführen
Fehler in parseGRASS(cmd) : r.patch not found

I checked the GRASS directory and it is set right in the initGRASS command.

I hope you can help me with one. I have no clue what to do!

Thanks in advance,

Tim