[GRASS-stats] error spgrass6 readRAST6

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 20 14:44:36 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Jan Hendrik Blanke <jan.blanke at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested in using the GRASS/R interface spgrass6 and recently executed the code given in the book "Open Source GIS - A Grass GIS Approach" for the North Carolina dataset. Reading the first vector files (precipitation) works perfectly, but when it comes to the first raster layer, I receive the following error message:
>
> "Error in deleteDataset(DS): GDAL Error 1: Deleting C:Documents and Settings/.../GIS DataBase/North-Carolina/user1/.tmp/elev_state_500m failed:
> Permission denied"

In that error message I observe "C:Documents and Settings/" which is not
"C://Documents and Settings/" (or with \\). Somehow it gets lost.

> I executed the following commands in the GRASS Command Line:
>
> g.region vect=precip_30ynormals res=1000 -ap
> library(spgrass6)
> precip30n <- readVECT6("precip_30ynormals", ignore.stderr=TRUE)
> elev <- readRAST6("elev_state_500m", ignore.stderr=TRUE)
>
> After the last command, the given error message appears. The same happens when I try to apply readRAST6 to personal data. ReadVECT6 again works fine.

That's interesting. Perhaps some path quoting is missing in  readRAST6()
which is present in readVECT6()? Or the called raster export function
from GRASS is an issue - we would need to know which is used.

> I am using GRASS 6.4.1 and R 2.12.2 and also tried R 2.13.2. The software runs under Windows XP.

I don't know if the GDAL-GRASS plugin is used under Windows.

Markus