[GRASS-stats] Towards spgrass7

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Jan 18 22:50:29 PST 2015

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Dear Roger,
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:
>> Dear Markus,
>>
>> Good to hear you are well! Great that RC1 is ready!
>
> Yeah, it took us a while but the latest cleanup efforts where really
> important. I expect that we will proceed from RC1 to final release
> rather fast (finally!).
>
>> Yes, I guess it would be sensible to condition on version in these cases, so
>> first add comments for hard-coded flags and options (there are also some
>> changes in type, I think). In addition, bin_out_win in parseGRASS() needs
>> updating and/or conditioning on version, and the logic for handling where
>> Python scripts are found should be looked at.
>
> Yes, fine.
>
>> You do not (yet) have commit rights on:
>> https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/rspatial/ where spgrass6 lives.
>
> I have now registered on R-Forge.
>
>> Two alignments: should GRASS5 support (GRASS packages) be dropped (yes)?
>
> Yes, dropped.
>
>> Should spgrass6 be forked into (new) spgrass which supports >= 7, and leave
>> spgrass6 for 6.*?
>
> I'd support to fork in order to not have too many conditions in the code.
>
>> If fork, is SVN on R-Forge OK?
>
> Yes.

After forking, as of now:

install.packages("spgrass", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

installs the "new" package for GRASS 7. Function names are now without the
trailing 6 to avoid confusion, and all examples run correctly in Spearfish
in GRASS 7.0 RC1.

Could someone please run the examples in Spearfish in GRASS 7.0 RC1 on
Windows after installing the Windoes spgrass binary (R 3.1) from R-Forge,
and report back?

Could someone please install spgrass from source on OSX (pre-Yosemite and
Yosemite), run the examples in Spearfish, and report back?

The existing spgrass6 does not work with GRASS 7 following recent changes
in GRASS parameter names - it may be modified either to permit these, or
to remove GRASS 7 conditions, leaving it just for GRASS 6.

Best wishes,

Roger

> Best wishes,
> Markus

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 91 00
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no