[GRASS-stats] Using GRASS addons in R on Windows

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Sun Jan 10 11:07:30 PST 2016

>This is not seen by rgrass::parseGRASS(), but a section could be added to
>list bin/*.bat files in the GRASS_ADDON_BASE environment variable
>directory.

the folder structure in C:\Users\xy\AppData\Roaming\GRASS7\addons is the
same as in the winGRASS binary installation:

C:\Users\xy\AppData\Roaming\GRASS7\addons
- bin
- docs
- etc
- scripts

some testing:

binary addon:

g.extension extension=r.hydrodem
svnurl=http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass7
Downloading precompiled GRASS Addons <r.hydrodem>...
Updating addons metadata file...
Installation of <r.hydrodem> successfully finished

r.hydrodem.exe installed in C:\Users\xy\AppData\Roaming\GRASS7\addons\bin

python script addon

g.extension extension=r.basin
svnurl=http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass7
Downloading precompiled GRASS Addons <r.basin>...
Updating addons metadata file...
Installation of <r.basin> successfully finished

r.basin.bat installed in C:\Users\xy\AppData\Roaming\GRASS7\addons\bin
r.basin.py installed in C:\Users\xy\AppData\Roaming\GRASS7\addons\scripts

---------------

system wide installation

binary addon:

g.extension -s extension=r.geomorphon
svnurl=http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass7
Downloading precompiled GRASS Addons <r.geomorphon>...
Updating addons metadata file...
Installation of <r.geomorphon> successfully finished

r.geomorphon installed in e.g. C:\OSGeo4W\apps\grass\grass-7.0.3RC1\bin

python script addon:

g.extension -s extension=r.euro.ecosystem
svnurl=http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass7
Downloading precompiled GRASS Addons <r.euro.ecosystem>...
Updating addons metadata file...
Installation of <r.euro.ecosystem> successfully finished

r.euro.ecosystem.bat installed in C:\OSGeo4W\apps\grass\grass-7.0.3RC1\bin
r.euro.ecosystem.py installed in
C:\OSGeo4W\apps\grass\grass-7.0.3RC1\scripts

>Do users also install addons system-wide (there is an option in
>the GUI)? Where does install if the -s flag is given - do we need to look
>there too?

by the -s flag in the winGRASS installation folder (e.g.
C:\OSGeo4W\apps\grass\grass-7.0.3RC1); so no further scan is needed. AFAIU
-s may only work in a OSGeo4W-installation but not in a winGRASS standalone
installation as for the the latter permissions rights are needed to install
in C:\Program Files and I'm not sure this is handled by g.extension in
winGRASS

>What happens to C/C++ Windows extensions, are they in the GRASS_ADDON_BASE
>\bin with an .exe extension?

binary addons (C/C++ Windows extensions) have an .exe extension and live in
\bin; python addons have a related .bat-script (see above) in \bin, the
script itself is in \script

-----
best regards
Helmut