[GRASS-stats] Using GRASS addons in R on Windows

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Jan 10 23:32:31 PST 2016

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:

>> Contributions welcome!
>
> this thread is about rgrass7 and winGRASS7.
>
> just found https://github.com/cran/rgrass7
>
> where to look? maybe here:
> https://github.com/cran/rgrass7/blob/master/R/xml1.R ?

No, of course not. Github is used by Gabor Csardi without the consent of
the authors or maintainers of packages to give fashionable access to work
(not done by the copiers who have a dictatorial frame of mind) that is
completely accessible elsewhere:

https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/spgrass/

using SVN. The underlying MetaCRAN "project" does say: "Unofficial
read-only mirror of all CRAN R packages", which is accurate - it is used
for some rather misleading metrics designed largely to boost the value of
R Studio (IMHO). It is *not* a development repository.

To contribute, either ask for contributor status and checkout with a user
name, committing only after successful R CMD check --as-cran on a fresh
tarball, or send patch files to the maintainer after checking out
anonymously. The successful R CMD check --as-cran on a fresh tarball is
the crucial step, especially across relevant platforms. The github mindset
is to hope that travis is set up right to do cross-platform testing, which
it largely isn't; the eyes of developers are often far more perceptive -
provided that the checking/testing is done (here with NC basic).

My guess is that the addons/bin also needs to be searched (possibly twice,
once for *.bat, again for *.exe) in xml1.R.

> (un)related:
>
> https://github.com/cran/rgrass7/blob/master/R/initGRASS.R#L42

This is irrelevant here - see rather R/AAA.R:

https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/rgrass7/R/AAA.R?view=markup&revision=24&root=spgrass

Both need to be progressed to GRASS 7, as does the exclusion list at the
head of R/xml1.R

Best wishes,

Roger