[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:4446] Re: [GRASS translations] Slovenian

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Oct 4 11:58:28 EDT 2004

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > > OK, I have added a new web page:
> > >  http://grass.itc.it/i18n.html
> >

> > question:
> >
> > if we change a _("text string") in the original source code,
>                  ^^             ^
> Related question: It's a pretty hard job to change all the message
> strings manually. It there a way to (semi-)automate that?

Not really.

There's no way that an automated process can realistically determine
whether or not a given string should be translated. Strings which are
only shown to the user can be translated, while strings which are part
of a defined data format can't.

Also, if a string is meant to be a compile-time constant (e.g. an
array initialiser), the expression has to be a direct string literal,
not a string expression.