[GRASS translations] Translation of GRASS

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Aug 4 03:32:53 EDT 2006

Welcome, mystusvittatus!

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 10:21:29PM +0700, mystusvittatus wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> I'm very new to GRASS. I've tried to learn it about 2 years ago but
> failed due to very limited knowledge about Linux. However, I've started
> translated GRASS modules man pages (version 5.3 in html format) in order
> to understand it better. Recently I got GRASS 6.0.0 installed on FC3 and
> started use it and gradually understand it a little bit. Therefore I
> will revise all of my present translation of GRASS man pages in the
> light of using them.

Please consider to use GRASS 6.1 for that. It was significantly improved
over 6.0. Release candidate 1 was published a few days ago, there will
be the official 6.1.0 very soon.

> The translation is into Vietnamese. Anybody please
> help to explain me how to make it available through GRASS team. At the
> moment, I've got about 50 man pages or more translated to Vietnamese
> already. But I will need sometimes to check it again after using them.

The integration of translated manual pages is currently an unsolved problem.
It was discussed earlier but no solution was searched. It's basically
a matter of adjusting the Makefiles to check for translations of the
'description.html' files.

> Also, I'm very interested in translation the application into Vietnamese
> also. I'm a bit confused about the po pages. When I tried to save a po
> file, it open in webpage form! What should I do save it as a text file?
> If anybody can show how to do it step by step or provide me a link to
> show in detail how to work with po file (I'm a very newbie on Linux and
> other stuffs related to Linux), then it would be great.

Just use the right mouse button on the link, then 'save as' to save it.
Again, please fetch the files from GRASS 6.1 as 6.0 is already a bit dated.

Best regards

 Markus Neteler