[GRASS translations] Problems with translated messages length

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Feb 10 20:27:27 EST 2007

Carlos Dávila wrote:

> I'm translating parts of grass into Spanish and I'm finding the next
> problem: many messages in Spanish are longer than original ones in
> English and in some cases they appear cut in the GUI, for example within
> buttons, title bars, etc. They can't be seen even maximising the window
> when possible. Is there any possibility to enlarge windows or buttons
> with such problems?

Dialogs should let labels size themselves based upon the text which
they contain, rather than forcing a specific size.

If you encounter cases where the size of a label is fixed, I suggest
submitting a bug report via the bug tracker, clearly identifying which
label is at fault.

The issue with messages not fitting in the title bars is a different
matter. It isn't practical for an application to enlarge windows to
match the title text; apart from anything else, the application
doesn't know which font the window manager will use for titles.

The only solution is to keep titles short; e.g. an error dialog should
simplay have "error" for the title, not the complete message. Again,
this should be filed as a bug via the bug tracker.