[GRASS translations] What's a project in GRASS?

Daniel Calvelo dca.gis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 15:28:08 EST 2007

On 1/17/07, dottorando <roberto at geomatica.como.polimi.it> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Eve Rousseau wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > What Daniel Calvelo meant with 'already in use' must be about the words you've
> > chosen to translate concepts like 'region' or 'areas'(as geometric objects)...

Merci Eve, that's what I meant. Sorry for being unclear.

> In spanish, 'localizacion' is no so bad because it has a sense of place.
> In fact, it's commonly use as a sinonim of village.

In Spain? We use 'lugar' here in Peru, which could be a nice translation too.

> I'm begining to think that translating some kind of GRASS terms is no so
> bad. It avoid some problems :)

Indeed, we did not translate very technical terms such as "buffer"
("zona de amortiguamiento" actually), "plug-in", "raster". Very often
the spanish equivalents are not nouns but phrases.

> > It's up to Spanish native speakers to tell which Spanish word could be the more
> > intuitive for this concept, and does it really matters if it ends up to be an
> > English word..? I really don't know, maybe native Spanish speakers like Daniel
> > should know better than I...

Eve is right. In common use most technical english terms are roughly
spanicized or used as spanishly pronounced english. In writing
however, we have very often a hard time because the correct
translations are usually awkward (longer, scarcely single words) and
mixed with the spoken english terms.

> Daniel, are you a spanish speaker? Would you like to join us? ;)

I have :) Couldn't help much lately, though. In the versions I
translated, two or three terms were candidates for plain english
(unquoted in my case): raster, buffer and mapset are those I can think
of now.

[...]
> For you and considering the whole concept of 'location' in GRASS, is it
> closer to 'project' or to 'place'?

Place, definitely. At least it is intended to behave like one. But
since in geography, projects often are about a given location, there
is some ambiguity.

[snip]

Auguri,

Daniel.