[GRASS translations] (no subject)

Carlos Dávila cdavilam at jemila.jazztel.es
Thu May 24 10:58:32 EDT 2007

Solomon Gizaw escribió:
> Hi all,
>
>  My name is Solomon Gizaw. I am from Ethiopia. I am a
> student in Addis Ababa University studying my Ms.c in
>  computer science .I would like to participate in
> translation of Grass-Gis to Amharic Language .I
> haven't seen anyone who has done it before in
> Amharic.I have tried to get a PO files of other
> countries and download it and also tried to translate
> some of the words into Amharic using the poedit .But I
> have tried to see the changes i made and use the
> command "msgfmt" on the file grasstcl_am.po to create
> a binary file and it creates message.mo file not which
> i need to see the grasstcl_am.mo file .could anyone
> tell me the  steps how I can compile
> it after I have finished some of the translation.
Selam Solomon. Welcome to the grass translators community .
If you are using grass from cvs you need to recompile grass after
translating any po file. You can find information about installation of
grass here:
http://grass.itc.it/grass63/source/REQUIREMENTS.html
If you are using packages, I don't if it is possible some hacking to
change installed files by your translated one.
And also information about translation process here:
http://grass.itc.it/devel/i18n.php
http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/locale/README?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

> will submitt my work after I have finished some of the
> work which is appropriate to include in the next
> version.
It's not necessary to wait until translation is finished. You can
include your files at any stage in the cvs, so others using cvs grass
can see it translated, although partially.
Regards
Carlos