GRASS to IDRISI (and back)

Marty McKimmey marty at baxter.uark.edu
Thu Apr 9 14:49:44 EDT 1992

> Does anyone know of a way to convert GRASS cell files to IDRISI
> format and vice-versa? I'm able to read the GRASS cell files with
> IDRISI but the row-column location of the data gets garbled.

 GRASS to Idrisi involve dumping a cell file from GRASS usind r.out.ascii.
Use redirect the output to a file.  This file must be converted to a single
column which is the format that Idrisi uses.  This conversion can be done
with a text editor such as WordPerfect by importing as an ascii text file.  the conversion to a single column is done by adjusting the margins to one
character wider than the longest entry in the file.  This can be toyed
with until the correct margins are set.  There will be blank lines at
the end of each line from the GRASS output.  These can be removed
manually or with a macro.  This is the most time consuming part.
Export the file as  ascii text.  You may also have to convert the file
in Idrisi with respect to point of origin.  I don't remember exactly
what the process is.  Getting the file back into GRASS is simple.
Just type the header information in the ascii text file exactly
as the GRASS manual states, process r.in.ascii.  Grass will create
the end of lines for you.  Be sure to use Idrisi convert if Idrisi
uses a different point of orgin.  Good Luck!

Marty McKimmey

Department of Agronomy
Soil Physics
University of Arkansas