Raster Map Legends

Melissa Records records at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Fri Apr 10 16:02:10 EDT 1992

> We would like to show a legend for a raster map on the
> screen while we view the map all without using the mouse.
> Any good ideas.
>
> thanks
> Edwin Welles
> edwin at hwr.arizona.edu

Have you tried first displaying the raster map, then creating
a new frame with the "d.frame" command, and then displaying
the legend in this new frame with the "d.legend" command?

You do not need a mouse to create a new frame if you run
"d.frame" non-interactively and specify the screen coordinates
for the new frame.  The "d.legend" command prints the legend
of a raster map in the active frame, so you need to make sure
that you use the -cs flags when running "d.frame" to both
create and activate the new frame.  The legend that is created
with "d.legend" isn't particularly beautiful.  You can get
fancier if you create a legend with "p.map" instructions, but
this involves a lot more work.

Melissa Records
records at zorro.cecer.army.mil