Extracion from 8 mm tapes

Laxmi Prasad Musunur mlp at forestry.auburn.edu
Thu Aug 20 17:01:00 EDT 1992

>Date: Thu, 20 Aug 92 13:38:48 CDT
>From: sydelko at camelot.es.anl.gov (Pam Sydelko)
>
>Does anyone know how I can extract Landsat TM image data from an 8mm tape?
>I don't have a half-inch drive and ordered the data on 8mm, not thinking that
>there isn't a GRASS tape extract program form 8mm tape drives.
>
>ANY IDEAS?
>
>Pam (Thompson) Sydelko

	I feel one might be able to extract the files from 8-mm tape using unix
commands like tar and then use i.tape.other to extract the raster images from
these files.  Though I haven't it this myself I was planning on doing this for
the same reason (no 1/2" tape drive).

Can somebody correct me if I am wrong ?

Thankyou,

Laxmi P. Musunur (LP)

p.s.   We did try extracting the TM image data from a file on the harddisk
using i.tape.other and it seemed to be having some problems. Finally we did
manage to get an image that we can display.