d.mon

GHATCHER GERRY at omdc.gso.uri.edu
Thu Aug 27 10:00:00 EDT 1992

Date sent:  27-AUG-1992 08:42:37

Hi Will:

I'm also on a DEC 5000/200 ULTRIX 4.2a and I still have probles with the
graphics window just going away occasionally and giving an error like the
one you've shown (I do have the latest XDRIVER from moon). But if your driver
is not starting at all it is possible that its a 24 bit display problem.
I had this problem also and it required the last line of /etc/ttys to be
changed to:
:0 "/usr/bin/login -P /usr/bin/Xprompter -C /usr/bin/dxsession -e" none on
secure window="/usr/bin/Xwst3d bc -class PseudoColor"

Its different for ULTRIX 4.2 but similar. I forget the exact syntax but
it involves seting the defalut window to PseudoColor and should be in the
online man pages for the ULTRIX 4.2 equivalent of Xwst3d in the last line
of /etc/ttys. If you don't have a graphics accelerater option then this
does not apply so never mind :-}

Gerry Hatcher

Ocean Mapping Development Center|      gerry at omdc.gso.uri.edu {Internet}
University of Rhode Island      |            cbeam::gerry {span}
voice (401)-792-6940            |            fax (401)-792-6849