r.in.erdas crashing

Jim Aanstoos (919) 541-6890 AANSTOOS%LOUIE at rcc.rti.org
Wed Dec 30 10:41:10 EST 1992

When I attempt to import an Erdas LAN file (version 7.3 format) using
r.in.erdas, the program crashes with a segmentation fault. It displays the
following information after getting the name of the file:

HEADER
pack type------ 0
number bands----------- 10
number cols,rows------- 3510, 1760
starting coordinate --- 1, 1
map type -------------- 0
number classes -------- 0
area ------------------ 0.000000 N
map coordinate -------- 0.000000, 0.000000
pixel size ------------ 1.000000, 1.000000

Since "number of classes", "area", and "map coordinate" are all suspiciously
equal to zeroes, I wonder if this is a clue as to the problem.  Where does it
get this information? From the Erdas file header?  I notice that r.in.erdas
takes an optional parameter called "erdas trailer file name", but I don't have
such a file-- do I need one?

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? I am running Grass 4.0 on a Sun
Sparcstation under SunOS 4.1.
       /\
  jim /--\
     /    \
Jim Aanstoos                  Research Triangle Institute
Internet: aanstoos%louie at rcc.rti.org
  Bitnet: aanstoos%louie at rti.bitnet

----- End Included Message -----

What looks questionable to me is the "number classes -------- 0" and this
could be resolved by running bstats on the image to determine the actual #. Are there really 10 bands? That is larger than most, but shouldn't be a problem. running bstats will also provide the trailer file. The area map coordin and map type are all 0 and ok if this is an unrectified image. If nothing seems to work and you have access to ERDAS there are other work arounds. When r.in.erdas works it works very well.

|  Tom Nelson                                                        |
|  Corps of Engineers                                                |
|  Fort Worth, Texas                                                 |
|  (817) 334-2095                                                    |