Problem importing data into GRASS

Ray Drapek drapekr at cgrb.orst.edu
Thu Jul 23 11:21:51 EDT 1992

   Problem: I have a model/program which creates a matrix of values
corresponding to the likeliness of a male moth at various positions finding
it's way to a pheromone signalling female. My problem is that I would like to
import this as a map layer into GRASS in an x,y position referenced location.
I have attempted to do this two ways:

Method 1) have the program output the values in pgm file format,
convert the pgm file to sunrast using "pnmtorast", and then importing the
sunrast file using r.in.sunrast. When I do this, r.in.sunrast gives me the
following error message:
		Opening file Like.rast
		Can only do rt_standard type.x=2
		Like.rast- the rasterfile format not supported

Method #2) Take the same pgm file, remove header information, and import
using i.tape.other. This works, but unfortunately i.tape.other is an
interactive program and I need to be able to run this on a command line. I
have already attempted to use a method for dealing with interactive routines
which was suggested in a recent posting (i.tape.other << EOF ...
<misc. inputs>.... EOF), but have not been successfull.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?