starting GRASS

jack hurlbut hurlbut at steer.sdsu.edu
Wed Jul 29 14:34:19 EDT 1992

	I just finished compiling GRASS4.0 on a Sun SPARCstation 1 and have a
few questions. It starts but I don't get past the start-up screen - the problem
is with TERM as you can see from the copy of my session (included below). My
usual environment has term=sun-cmd which doesn't seem acceptable, but then
nothing else seemed to work either. I looked at
	grass4.0/src/display/devices/monitorcap/monitorcap
and all entries were commented out so I uncommented the entry for sunview and
started GRASS again but had the same problem. Did this need to be uncommented
before I ran GISGEN? Any help would be appreciated.

			Sincerely,
				jack hurlbut

/* Below is the output from starting GRASS */

WELCOME TO GRASS              Version 4.0         Summer 1991

   1) Have at your side all available GRASS tutorials
      - For getting started, try to duplicate the session
        outlined in: "GRASS Tutorial: GIS Tool Access"

   2) When working on your location, the following materials
      are extremely useful:
      - A topo map of your area
      - Current catalog of available computer maps

   3) Please mail any comments to:  cerl!grass

Hit RETURN to continue

Type sun-cmd unknown
TERM = (unknown) vt100
Type vt100 unknown