p.map help

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Sat May 2 08:43:58 EDT 1992

p.map drivers can either be unlimited in length  (true  printers)
or  fixed  in  length  (preview).  The  ppm driver is somewhat in
between since it isn't a true printer, just a file to be sent  to
a  printer  later  thru  a  conversion  process unknown to p.map.
Therefore it is written to be fixed length. p.map will respond to
fixed  length  drivers  by (1) ignoring any scale request amd (2)
not printing any off map text or graphics (commnets, color table,
etc). It is possbiel to change the behaviour of the ppm driver by
(1) writting code to create text and (2) changing it from a fixed
length  driver to an unlimited length driver. (2) is easy but (1)
takes some work.  I  will  report  (1)  and  (2)  as  enhancement
requests for this driver (no promises, though).

|I tried the sample p.map script from the  p.map  man  page.   The
|output  driver  was  ppm  and I converted paint.ppm to both gray-
|scale and color postscript output.  The script produces a  pretty
|map but no legend and no comment.  There were two inch long lines
|below the lower left corner of the map, one solid and one dashed.
|Furthermore,  the  'scale'  command  did  not  seem to affect the
|output at all.

Michael