How to create ppm-files of a p.map-ouput ?

Garth Tier Garth.Tier at its.csiro.au
Thu Oct 15 10:00:22 EDT 1992

> how can I pipe the p.map-output in a ppm-file ?
> Or better: How can print out a GRASS-map on a printer like the
> HP PaintJet or simply the LaserJet ?
> Bye
>    Andreas Wytzisk

I have had some success printing with  the LaserJet.  The main consideration
is that you need to represent shades with a pattern of dots.  This pattern
must be repeatable and so has a minimum size.  I took this size to be the
smallest representation of a single pixel.  From memory it was a 4x4 pattern.
This means that the the resolution is about 75 pixels to the inch.  It is
difficult to get a large number of shades of grey so I settled on 10 (from
memory) which included white and black.  This gives acceptable results if
you can rescale your data.  I also added the ability to draw lines from a
dig file which typically was the output of Gpoly.  This enhanced the
edges of areas where this was meaningful.

If I can be of any assistance please contact me.

--
Garth Tier, Centre for Arid Zone Research,
CSIRO Division of Wildlife & Ecology,
Email tie013 at its.csiro.au