New v.digit available for alpha testing

Dave Gerdes dpgerdes at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Thu Oct 22 10:31:44 EDT 1992

Well, it looks like the new v.digit is ready to go to alpha test.
I have already contacted by mail everyone that I have a list of who
responded to my earlier post.   This is just a note to the network to
let you know of its availability.

I have uploaded the file to moon (i.e. max.cecer.army.mil[129.229.20.254]).
It is in the directory:      "grass/incoming"
and the file is:  "v.digit.tar.Z"

Just as a review this new version allows one to easily develop new drivers
for digitizers without having to write any code.  It uses a text file
description for the digitizer instead.

The rest is information that is useful if you try to get it up and running:

In the archive there is no manual for digit itself, as it is basically
the same as the 4.0 version.  All the documentation there is is in the
archive in directory:
    v.digit/DRIVER_DOCS.

We have already developed several working drivers for the Altek AC30 and
the Calcomp 9500.  They are in the directory:  v.digit/digitizers.

Your local available digitizers are now controlled by the file
    $GISBASE/etc/digcap  instead of digitcap
The format of that file is similar, except that it refers to the
new driver files instead of the version of the digit program to be run.

There is no longer a bin_digit program.  The old digit compiled a v.digit
which simply ran a program named etc/dig_devices/*/digit.  The new
program is completely self contained.  Note that it will compile into
v.digit.  You might want to edit the Gmakefile to rename it so that
it does not overwrite your old v.digit program.  In 4.1, the old program
will compile to v.digit2  and this new program will be called v.digit.

To test your digitizer definition files, there is a Diagnostic directory
with a program called "digtest" which you can use while creating the file.
This will save you from having to deal with v.digit locking up during testing.

If you have less than five buttons specified for your digitizer, the
keyboard keys 0-9 will be available to perform the same function. (this
is not available with digtest.)

If you have a Geographics digitizer, I don't want to hear from you.
Actually, we hope to try to support it in the future.  (now that's a
definate non-committal for you)

If you like the program, thanks go to  John Dabritz for writing the original
code, Terry Baker for all the trouble she put in making it work, and
to Nat. Weather Service for paying for it (w/out knowing it).

If you don't like it, talk to me.

There is a chance that it will refer to a new G_ subroutine that didn't exist
in 4.0.  If so, someone let me know what it is, and I will put it up for ftp
also.

BTW, I am expecting that everyone will send in their new definition files
when they get them working.

---

  Dave Gerdes
  US Army Construction Engineering Research Lab
  Spatial Analysis & Systems Team
  dpgerdes at zorro.cecer.army.mil
  (217) 352-6511 x591