help -- m.dted.examine

Greg Koerper greg at towhee.cor2.epa.gov
Tue Aug 24 16:53:29 EDT 1993

> I am attempting to load Digital Terrain Elevation Data using the m.dted.extract
> program and an error message appears on my screen very early in the game.  The
> program aborts during the "check argument" stage.
>
> Using the original Grass 4.1 m.dted.examine program, I get the following:
>
>     GRASS 4.1 > m.dted.extract input=/cdrom/dted/w097/n31.dt1
>                 output=w097_n31.out header=w097_n31.hdr north=31.15.00N
>                 south=31.00.00N east=097.30.00W west=097.45.00W
>     north=31.15.00N - illegal latitude
>
> Virginia Jackson
> jackson at era.com

The problem here is a man description out of sync with the code.  I get the
result:
north=31.15.00N - illegal latitude

Usage:
 m.dted.extract [-fhqu] input=name output=name header=name
   [north=name] [south=name] [east=name] [west=name]

Flags:
  -f   Read the entire tape in all cases
  -h   Set extraction region based on DTED header values
  -q   Run quietly
  -u   Process an unblocked file (not a tape)

Parameters:
   input   Name of tape drive device
  output   Name of output file
  header   Name of header output file
   north   North latitude of region to extract (format: dd:mm:ss{N|wr
   south   South latitude of region to extract (format: dd:mm:ss{N|S})
    east   ame]
    west

This help IS broken, but look closely at the : symbols in the format.  When I
run this command with colons substituted for the periods, it attempts to
execute.  Be sure to set the current region to encompass the area for which
data is being read.

greg

Greg Koerper                            Internet: greg at heart.cor.epa.gov
ManTech Environmental Technology, Inc.  UUCP:     hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!koerper
US EPA Environmental Research Lab
200 SW 35th St., JSB
Corvallis, OR   97333     Rush Limbaugh plucks the heartstrings of America:
(503) 754-4490                "I'm OK, because they're not!"
 fax:  (503) 754-4338