v.digit with lat/long maps

Dan Hough DHOUGH at uokmvsa.backbone.uoknor.edu
Fri Dec 3 11:19:00 EST 1993

Dear Grasshoppers,

We are attempting to digitize a base map for Oklahoma using
a lat/long map.  Oklahoma spans 3 utm zones, so lat/long seems
to be the way to go, right?

We think we set up the lat/long location properly, using
latitude values for the northern and southern edges and
longitudes for the eastern and western edges. The region
produced has negative longitude values (We assume because we are
in W longitude).

When we try to digitize the map using the v.digit program of
Grass4.1, we do fine until asked to enter the map registration
points.  First we enter a 1 to indicate we will enter points in
Lat/Lon.  We then run into the following problems:

1)  The registration points menu asks us to enter Lat as the X
    coordinate and Lon as the Y coord.  This seems backwards.

2)  We enter the points in the format indicated, i.e.,
    dd:mm:ss.ffh, but when we hit <ESC> to continue, we are thrown
    out of v.digit without explanation.

On one occassion, we entered the registration points as x,y
coordinates. In that case we were able to proceed with
digitizing, but the map was turned on its side with lat as x and
long as y.

We have been unable to find any documentation on using lat/long maps
with v.digit.  Neither the man page or the digitizing tutorial for
Grass4.0 address lat/long data in any way.

Has anyone had experience digitizing lat/long maps with
Grass4.1? Does Grass work with lat/long data?  Is there a
tutorial or documentation anywhere that addresses using lat/long
data in Grass?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Hough                        email address:dhough at uokmvsa.uoknor.edu
Oklahoma Biological Survey