A beginner's question

Andrea Giacomelli andreag at idra1.iar.polimi.it
Tue Dec 21 10:25:50 EST 1993

> data I have is in GRASS ASCII format,i.e. an ASCII text with a 6-line header.
> I imported it using r.in.ascii command, and put it under 'spearfish'.  It
> worked fine.  However, it doesn't work when I put it in a separate directory
> other than 'spearfish'.  I guess I have to make some kind of setup, beside
> g.region.  My question can be made more general: what is the general procedure
> to start a working coverage when I have the ASCII data ?
By separate directory, do you mean a sparate LOCATION ? (which you should
create at the beginning of your session)
Do you receive any error messages ? If you could report then, probably it
would be easier to understand what is going wrong...

> First problem I have is that the header files get some unreconized symbols.,
> like ^M after copied from CD-ROM to my sparc.  The second problem is when

The unrecognized symbols you mention appear in the file or in the filename ?
(Because I had this problem)

					Andrea Giacomelli
					andreag at idra1.iar.polimi.it
					DIIAR - Politecnico di Milano (I)
(A not very experienced user myself....)