vector length

Jianping Xu jianp at ocean.rutgers.edu
Wed Jul 7 23:38:56 EDT 1993

> I agree that v.report does a good job, but what is really needed is a
> program that gives "on-the-ground" distance measurements; that is, takes in
> to account rises and falls of elevation, so that we get TRUE distance
> measurements, not just the distance along the smooth surface of an ellipsoid.

My friend Runxuan Zhao (rzhao at psupen.psu.edu) suggested to use r.volume
to get the distances of networks. To the "surface" distances, one may
consider the following:
	. rasterize the streams (or roads);
	. r.mapcalc 'surface resolution' using horizontal resolution, slope
	  and aspect, derived from elevation;
	. r.volume the surface resolution.

***
Jianping Xu
Center for Remote Sensing and Spatial Analysis	 Email: jianp at ocean.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University			 	 Phone: (908) 932-9631
New Brunswick, NJ 08903-0231			 Fax:   (908) 932-8644