The wonderful world of Internet

Ronald Thomas ront at niwot.CFNR.ColoState.EDU
Mon Nov 29 19:03:26 EST 1993

>  From: motte <motte at hacktic.nl>
>  Subject: The wonderful world of internet
>  Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1993 09:31:14 +0100 (MET)
>
>  Thanks to Ron Thomas for answering the v.report question. Which brings me
>  of course to the remark concerning 'already solved problems' and the
>  grass-archives on the moon. I'm sure I'm not the only one that hasn't got
>  enourmous amounts of time available to go internet-shopping every time
>  something crops up (I even can't get a decent 'dir' on the moon when I
>  use ftp, but I'm sure you're all familiar with that). It would have taken
>  me probably a lot more time finding the answer on moon than it did now -
>  so I suggest that Mark continues with the 'digest' project, especially
>  when it comes to rather obvious bugs in programs like this one. I'd be
>  happy to pay for it!
>
>  Have a nice day!
>
>  Philip Verhagen.
>   --

I guess my next question would be: if someone else (one of the few
regular GRASS-list contributors)  didn't do the searching for you, would you
have an answer to your problem, or would you have had to just forget about
using "v.report" until (if) a 'digest' comes out?

I, for one, have found that the time, frustration, and the flames involved,
as well as the inability or unwillingness of newer Internet user's to "get
up to speed" has gone beyond what I am willing to put up with, and I no
longer intend to continue monitoring/contributing to the list's on a
close-to real-time basis as I have the past year or so (small loss, I'm sure).

My participation was an attempt to give back some of the effort/help I had
received from the list's. I hope that I have done that in some small way.

I recognize that most of last week's flames were due to "self-combustion",
following a posting with an inappropriate choice of words.   However, I
do not subscribe to the "official" CERL view that we must communicate
at the level of the least experienced user (lowest-common denominator
theory: see the last post by Riche/Hansen).
But, it is their list, so I'll be content to let them answer the questions.

		Ron Thomas
		Estes Park, Colorado