postscrip printing (ps.map)? (3)

Bill Dailey 490-8324 (303) dailey at gpsrv1.gpsr.colostate.edu
Fri Oct 15 17:33:20 EDT 1993

->From: buckr at qdpii.ind.dpi.qld.gov.au (Rosalie BUCK)
->Subject: ps.map & lat/long
->
->ps.map will print vector maps based on lat/long only if the default region
->will fit into the one panel.  Selecting a region will cause ps.map to fail.
->Raster and grids accept the small region.  This effect does not occur with
->UTM data.

Subj:	postscrip printing (ps.map)?  (3)

Dear Rosalie

I don't know if you were responding to my request, but it was a good starting
place to resolve the problem that I have been having displaying Vector maps
over Raster images in ps.map.

YES, we were working with lat lon data.  I switched the mapset over to UTM,
still with raster & vector mismatch.

Could you please expand on what you mean by "default region will fit into the
one panel."  Does this mean that there is a limit on the
size of a X and Y values within a region is which ps.map can work.

thankyou to all

bill...

->->
->->We are having problems with ps.map. It appears the raster and
->->vector files overlaid on top of the raster are at different scales
->->or at different offsets than the raster file. Is there a new and
->->improved version of this code out there that corrected for this
->->(ours was downloaded on July 7)?
->->
->->
->->
->->Regards,
->->
->->Bruce Wylie
->->
->
->This the second time we posted this question to the list,
->please help if you can.
->
->using ps.map   Update Package 2 installed
->
->    Using d.rast and d.vect.
->    When using a raster file and then over laying a vector file,
->    we get an image with a vector tightly wrap around the raster image,
->    like in example #1.
->
->    Using ps.map
->    When using a raster file and then over laying a vector file,
->    we get a nice raster image with a vector that fits nicely along
->    the bottom on the image but fails to stretch over the entire image,
->    like in example #2.
->
->
->
->                example #1               example #2
->
->                 /-----\                  xXXXXXx
->                /xXXXXXx\                 /-----\
->                |XXXXXXX|                |XXXXXXX|
->                 \XXXXX/                  \XXXXX/
->                  -----                    -----
->
->
->    What are we doing wrong?  We use p.map extensively, never had a problem.
->
->
->
->example of our ps.map script follows
->using the command> ps.map input=bill.scr output=bill.ps
->
->scale 1:250000
->maploc 1.25 0.0
->grayrast x5
->vector maj.250.hy
->   color black
->   width 3
->   end
->vector sat.thick.study.irr
->   color black
->   width 1
->   end
->

William J. Dailey, GPSR Systems Analyst
USDA-ARS-NPA
Great Plains Systems Res.      TEL: 303-490-8324
P.O. Box E                     FAX: 303-490-8310
303 South Howes  Rm. 227       FTS2000:  A03RLGPSR
Fort Collins, CO  80522        INTERNET: dailey at gpsrv1.gpsr.colostate.edu