GRASS4.1/Solaris2.2 performance

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Wed Sep 1 23:18:29 EDT 1993

Ronald Thomas (ront at niwot.CFNR.ColoState.EDU) writes on 1 Sep 93:
>As I have yet to run any software on the SPARClassic designed specifically
>for Solaris 2.2, it would be premature to announce the machine and the
>operating system failures, but GRASS4.1 is a pig on Solaris 2.2.

granted, there are some SysV problems in GRASS that should not
have been there, but in fairness, I've had problem with speed
on a lot of applications. Not necessarily number crunching, but
IO related, things with overhead, named pipe stuff, etc. For example,
compare
   #include<stdio.h>
   int main() { system("ls"); }
on Solaris 2 versus Solaris 1. Repeat it and time it - big difference.

>	   v.digit---- NO
>	   v.digit2--- almost useless

these two are unfortunate. I am currently looking at v.digit2 to find
the bottlenecks. It appears to be incredibly slow when "processing"
after a stream is digitized, which I assume is just a few adds and
multiplies (coordinate conversion) and writing the output.  Some may
say that I should spend my energies on v.digit, but I am really just
looking for a quick fix - v.digit2 works (barely) but v.digit doesn't
at all.  (The symptoms seem to be the same among all Solaris 2 users
that I've spoken with.)

I'll post to grassp-list if I manage to speed it up any.

>Relative speed compared to GRASS4.0 on an 386i with SunOS 4.0.2:

you have one of these!?! :o

--Darrell
James Darrell McCauley            Dept of Ag Engineering, Purdue Univ
internet: mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-1146, USA
bitnet: mccauley%ecn at purccvm      UUCP: pur-ee!mccauley
*** avail. for full time employment 9/94-inquiries welcome (no hh, plz) ***