help selecting mapsets

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Thu Sep 2 13:33:49 EDT 1993

Doug Hersh writes:

> I have given the files in different mapsets identical names to
> make it possible to apply the same analyses to each mapset.
>
> Currently, I need to exit GRASS (4.0) to reselect a new mapset
> and then run my shell program which does the analyses.  I tried
> running g.mapsets instead of exiting and re-entering GRASS4.0,
> but the original mapset is retained and the new mapset is appended.
> Thus, when looking for files, Grass finds what it wants in the first
> named mapset and never looks for the identically named file in the
> second mapset.
>
> Is there a way of selecting a new mapset so that the LOCATION remains
> the same, but the old MAPSET is replaced by a new one?
>
> Thanks.

If you are simply trying to force GRASS to use a map in a different mapset,
specify the mapset when choosing the map: <mapname>@<mapset> , elevation at PERMA-
NENT, etc. As long as the named mapset is in your search path, GRASS will use
the specific map that you name.

As far as changing mapsets on the fly goes, your .grassrc file seems to control
this function as far as most GRASS programs are concerned. If you change the
mapset in your .grassrc file, it believes that you are now in another mapset.
Obviously, you must have permissions for this mapset. *I do not recommend this
approach!!*

--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159