High resolution output from a frame with multiple windows

BAKERWL BAKERWL at corral.uwyo.edu
Sun Sep 26 11:17:23 EDT 1993

Ron Thomas suggests using xv or pbmplus to generate high resolution
output from a frame with multiple windows.  I have both programs.  The
problem is that to get from the GRASS X-window display of a complex frame
to some other program (e.g., xv) one has no choice but to "capture" what
is displayed in the X-window?  If so, then the captured frame can never
be captured at a resolution greater than maximum screen resolution (e.g.,
1152 X 900 on the Sun).  xv may be able to "stretch" this to some other
resolution, but the stretched image won't contain any more "information"
than was captured (i.e., no greater than 1152 X 900).  Thus output to
a printer will contain no more information than was captured (printed
6" high this is about 150 d.p.i., much less than a laserjet can do).

So, to get higher resolution output requires that the output go to a CELL
file "display" at some higher resolution, which I can't figure out how
to do, or some other way?  Does anyone know how to use the CELL option
with d.mon to create a CELL file?

As I understand PBMPLUS, the common way to get a file into PBMPLUS is
to select the ppm painter and then use p.map, but this does not allow
one to make a complex frame containing more than one raster map, a
vector map, text, etc.

I must be missing something obvious?

	Bill Baker
	bakerwl at corral.uwyo.edu