Info on new MAPGEN requested

Marjorie Larson larson at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Fri Apr 1 15:51:47 EST 1994

> From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil  Thu Mar 31 08:03:39 1994
> Date: Thu, 31 Mar 94 09:25:58 EST
> From: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov (Gerald I. Evenden)
> Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
> To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
> Subject: Re:  Info on new MAPGEN requested
>
> >Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 22:09:37 GMT
> >Subject: Info on new MAPGEN requested
> >From: ront at picea.CFNR.ColoState.EDU (Ronald Thomas)
> >To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
> >
> >Hello again!
> >
> >Is the mapgen.tar.Z that is in the /grass/grass4.1/updates directory on the
> >"moon" a complete replacement for the src.related/mapgen/mapgen directory?
> >Will it run with the SCS GRASS/MAPGEN interface 4.11 located at
> >src.related/mapgen/SCS ?

No - it is actually a complete replacement of the src.related/mapgen
directory (including PROJ, mapgen, and the SCS mapgen interface).  Runs
with the SCS interface included in the new version.

Current (related) source version on the ftp site (4.1 update level 3)
contains the updated mapgen directory.

> >Are the versions of 'proj' ( 4.5, 4.6) that are distributed with the
> >GRASS4.1 source code current enough to run this 'new' mapgen?

See above - these versions should be overwritten/deleted.  If I'm not
mistaken, these were actually beta versions 4.05 and 4.06.  They should
never have made their way into the GRASS release, but were included in
an update from SCS.  Apparently there were miscommunications somewhere
along the line, and instead of receiving a finished product as was my
impression from what was reported to me, we received something still
under development.

> >Does anyone have a listing of MAPGEN commands, with a short description of
> >the commands, for the SCS 4.11 MAPGEN/GRASS interface?

man pages can be found under src.related/mapgen/SCS/man

We now have a hard copy of the newest manual from SCS, but cannot afford
to make and give away copies.  Perhaps OGF will decide to publish this
if enough people are interested in purchasing it.

> >Has anyone heard if SCS has finished the MAPGEN/GRASS interface
> >version 4.12, as mentioned in the src.related/mapgen/SCS/README file?

Yes.  We at CERL do not yet have the source code, but should soon.
The version included under "updates" is consistent with the SCS 4.11
release, and I don't believe they made any major changes to their
mapgen interface for 4.12 (their numbering system).  We'll check on
that when we get the code.

> >Any help/advice appreciated!!
> >
> >Ronald Thomas                                ront at meeker.cfnr.colostate.edu
> > Natural Resource Spec. (GIS)         ^^^    Phone: 303-586-1285
> >  Resources Management Division  ^^  ^^^^^   FAX: 303-586-1310
> >   Rocky Mountain National Park ^^^ ^^^^^^^  Estes Park, CO  80517
>
> I can't answer the question, but I can't help observing: "what a mess."
>
> I had some communications with a GRASS functionary a while back and
> we agreed that something needed to be done about release levels and
> nomenclature.  But nothing seems to have happened.
>
> Although I was the original source of MAPGEN and its sub-parts, a
> great deal of value added work was done by SCS and others.  So I
> have no objections to release numbers that have no relation to
> my own.
>
> I am a little more sensitive to `proj' releases and possible confusion with
> PROJ.4 available on charon.er.usgs.gov.  The charon site is only up
> to release 4.3[.0] as compared to the above 4.5 and 4.6 releases, but
> I am fairly sure that the release on charon is later than those on moon.

See above.  In the SCS README file, these were listed as [beta] 4.05 and
4.06 - hence the confusion.

> In terms of PROJ.4, it would have been nice if GRASS would have just
> mirrored charon, but, alas, they insisted on K&R C code and thus
> translated PROJ.4 ANSI C back to K&R and thus severed any tie I may
> have with their copy.

With release 4.1 of GRASS, we were not requiring an ansi-C compiler
from our users, nor did we have the time and manpower to make changes
to the entire (somewhat large!) system that would ensure not only a
glitch free compilation, but a thorough test of even the old tried and
true commands to see that changes (i.e. bugs) were not introduced
through the use of a new compiler.  However, we were planning the
upgrade for ansi-C compatibility with the next GRASS version.

The version of PROJ which was translated back to K&R is a GRASS library,
used by GRASS commands such as v.proj.  The SCS interface incorporated a
newer version of PROJ after our beta release - hence the reason for now
having both exist within updated versions of GRASS 4.1.  The PROJ version
in and used by the updated mapgen/PROJ/SCS interface code is intact
(ANSI C) PROJ 4.1.3.

> Finally, PROJ.4 is compatible with MAPGEN 4.x which I believe is
> the basic release distributed with GRASS.
>
> When there are so many contributers to a system such as GRASS, a
> strong central authority needs to spend a great deal of time keeping
> the releases organized and documented.

Yes, I agree with this wholeheartedly.  The difficulty comes in the
"great deal of time" required - which has to be first funded and then
staffed with workers who have all kinds of expertise.  I take
responsibility for this particular mixup - I had no one on my staff
during the 4.1 release process who was familiar with mapgen and the SCS
mapgen interface.  Amidst my swamped schedule, I tried to coordinate this
piece myself, but apparently not thoroughly enough.  Let me suffix this
by saying that SCS and CERL are more committed than ever to staying
organized and coordinated in the future.

> Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
> voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
>   fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027

Marji Larson                           U.S. Army CERL
email:   larson at zorro.cecer.army.mil   Env. Compliance Division
phone:   (217) 352-6511  ext 7504      P.O. Box 9005
fax:     (217) 373-7222                Champaign, Ill. 61826-9005