help w/ DEMs and XGRASS

RA07825 at academia.swt.edu RA07825 at academia.swt.edu
Sun Aug 14 11:08:06 EDT 1994

Hello All:

  This message was posted on GIS-L yesterday and on 2nd thought maybe it
  would be better posted on this list.

  This may sound a bit elementary, but does anyone out there know how to
  format a USGS DEM file for use in XGRASS?  We recently downloaded some
  1:250K scale DEM from edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/...  The README file suggests
  adding record delimiters with the following UNIX command:

     dd if=inputfilename of=ouputfilename ibs=4096 cbs=1024 conv=unblock

  We are running AUX on a Macintosh and when we tried this UNIX command,
  "unblock" was not a usable parameter.

  Does anyone know what the equivalent unblock parameter is in AUX UNIX?

  Perhaps the file type is not the problem and we are not using XGRASS
  correctly as we are just learning how to use it?  For now we are simply
  trying to bring up the DEM as a color raster map on XGRASS.

  Any help or suggestions are welcome with many thanks!

  Bobby Anaya
  Student
  Southwest Texas State University

  ra07825 at academia.swt.edu