Erdas File Import

hawkins at water.ca.gov hawkins at water.ca.gov
Fri Feb 4 15:23:46 EST 1994

I am looking for some answers regarding GRASS raster files
created using i.in.erdas.  I received some enhanced panchromatic
SPOTview quads (with SPOT's permission) in *.lan format, which I
was later informed was from ERDAS.  I was successful in using
i.in.erdas to create the cell file, used r.support, and was able
to view the files, create postscripts, etc.

However, the GRASS cell file, which I assume is supposed to be in
BIL file format, don't seem the correct size.  The GRASS manual
says that the cell file size should be the number of rows times
the number of pixels times 1 byte.  My cell file is larger than
that by about 7,000 bytes.

I then imported that cell file into another image processing
software (Easi-Pace v 5.0) as a BIL file format, and it came in,
but not correctly.  It was apparent that at the top of the image
created there is a bunch of garbage pixels, which makes me
believe that there was header information in the GRASS cell file.

My question is, is this extra data header data from the .lan file
in the GRASS cell file?  If so, is there anyway to get rid of
this data, or to create another cell file without this data?
(This problem of file transfers will correct itself when we get
V.5.2 of EASI-PACE, which is supposed to seamlessly read GRASS
files).

Another question.  I received data for each SPOT quad also,
including the top left and bottom right x and y coordinates (in
UTM 11) and the number of rows and columns, and pixel size (10
meter).  Using simple mathematics, the top left corner of the
file given is the top left corner of the top left pixel, and the
bottom right corner of the file is the bottom right corner of the
bottom right pixel.  In GRASS, is the top left corner of the file
the top left corner of the pixel, or the center of the top left
pixel?  I think it uses the middle of the pixel, because to get
the SPOT image into EASI-PACE correctly (or at least with north
going up) I had to increase the number of columns by one (from
1195 pixels in a row to 1196).  Also, the cellhd file in GRASS
has the top left and bottom right off by 5 meters.

Thanks for any help or advice.
[...]

Tom Hawkins
California Department of Water Resources