ps.map postscript

John Mackenzie john at moose.ags.udel.edu
Mon Feb 7 12:54:01 EST 1994

> > read in by other programs.  I generated a postscript file with the new
> > version of ps.map from grass/incoming, then tried to load it with xv,
> > but xv will not recognize it as an image file.  The header in the
> > ps.map postscript file does indicate "%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0" which
> > suggests it is an encapsulated postscript file.  Was this problem ever
> > resolved?
> >
> > 	Bill Baker
> > 	bakerwl at uwyo.edu
> >
> Bill,
> I'm not an expert on this, but I do not believe that ps.map writes in strictly
> encapsulated postscript. In order to view a file you're going to need a real
> postscript viewer, such as GhostScript (GhostView?) or Sun's Pageview.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
> Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159

Malcolm's right about ghostview--it works fine for us under SunOS 4.1.3
and Solaris 2.3 both.  On a related note, if your printer can't handle
Adobe 3 (as our color laser printer can't), try using psfix to translate
to Adobe 2:
            psfix mapfile.ps > fixmap.ps
(There doesn't seem to be a man page for it.)

John Mackenzie
U. of Delaware