g.region

martijn at scanner.frw.uva.nl martijn at scanner.frw.uva.nl
Thu Feb 24 06:26:11 EST 1994

On Tue, 22 Feb 1994 KATHDOYL at uwyo.edu wrote:

> I am wondering why I don't have a default region for the data set that I am
> working with.  I have a DEFAULT_WIND file and a WIND file with the same region
> specified.  I can set up new regions when i am using the mapset.  If i try to
> select the default region, i am told that no default region is specified.  Also
> what is the function of the %WIND file?  Thanks, Kathy Doyle
> Please reply to KATHDOYL at UWYO.EDU

Since this may be of general interest, I'll reply to the group. If you
get the `no default window' message, you do not have a DEFAULT_WIND file
in your PERMANENT mapset, OR it is incorrect in some way (permissions!).
Copy the DEFAULT_WIND file in your current mapset to PERMANENT and you're
OK.
The WIND file stores your current region settings. It gets updated each
time you use g.region, d.zoom, etcetera. If you have a %WIND file, it is
not being used by Grass; such filenames may be created during
communication with Macintosh systems in our experience. You can remove it.

Martijn van Leusen