awk, site files, etc

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Tue Jan 25 23:31:16 EST 1994

On Tue, 25 Jan 1994, mike camann wrote:

> Sometimes though, the temptation to cobble something together with
> shell scripts should be avoided.  It's a great way to prove a concept
> or work out a method, but in the long run GRASS functionality won't be
> extended with subdirectories full of shell scripts.

I disagree. The only thing that I see that might speak against this style
of functional extension and adaptation is performance. If it is found that
only compiled-language coding will give adequate performance for a
particular job, then so be it. Where that is not the case, though, or
where the trade-off between development overhead and performance favors
the shell-script route, then that route can, should and is taken.

> As GRASS's
> functionality is extended with new tools it is reasonable to expect its
> underlying file structures to change as well so they can exploit the
> possibilities inherent in those tools.

I think a better case might be made for creating and sticking with simple
data interfaces between highly flexible tools, rather than mucking around
with changing those interfaces too often.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296