using grass to make high quality maps

Jim Klein lkla at netcom.com
Sat Jun 4 12:59:27 EDT 1994

The easiest way to get high quality output from GRASS files from my
experience is to convert grass output (ps.map, screen dumps etc into a
*.gif file, move the file to a mac and then do your editing in one of the
mac programs.  Photoshop can convert gif files, or there is a shareware
program called 'gif converter' into a *.tiff file.  In photoshop we also
tend to enhance the legend.   We then import the files to Aldus Pagemaker to
add title blocks etc.

There are numerous service bureaus that can take Pagemaker files and
enlarge them to presentation size.  It would be wise to do a small test
first with the service bureau.  While this sounds complicated, it is
a very straitforward, economical approach to someone, like yourself
without access to expensive hardware, or the so called 'higher end'
commercial GIS programs.

Jim Klein