X driver

Ken Sibley ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Mon Jun 6 17:08:09 EDT 1994

> >2) When you have more than one X monitor going, the colours on the
> >second and subsequent monitors are wrong. Most noticeably, the
> >background colour ends up grey rather than black. I suspect that this
> >is not an X bug, as it happens both under openwindows and on our X11R5
> >xterminals, although I could be wrong. Any explanation or fix?
>
> I have noticed this too.  The differences are not great, but are real.
> I Am Curious (Colors) [;-)... for all those obscure film buffs]
>
> Simon Cox

The problem is definately in the XDRIVER.  Then first monitor always
seems to get a true black background while subsequent monitors get
an off black (greyish) looking background. A contractor working for
SCS on a specific project looked at it and found the problem in the
code and "fixed" it.  They then discussed the situation with Mike Shapiro
of CERL and he explained that their fix would cause other problems
inside of the driver.  Mike, if you are listening maybe you can
explain what causes the glitch in the colors.  I know it must be something
in the allocation of multiple color tables.

Ken Sibley
USDA-SCS		"Hell, if you understand everything I say,
ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov   you'd be me!"  - Miles Davis