Modelling the self similarity of drn. directions using Fractals

Sreekant Chakravarti Tangella sktangel at chief.ecn.uoknor.edu
Thu Jun 9 07:15:29 EDT 1994

Hello friends,
        I am a GRASS user here at the Univ. of Ok. I am working on a watershed
in Oklahoma, and I am trying to model the changes in drainage length with aggreg
ation of the DEM. I found that as the resolution is increased the drainage lengt
h decreases. I am trying to model the self similarity of the drainage map. I am
using the box dimension method to obtain the fractal dimension of the drainage
map.

        In the formula I am using, I need to know the size of the total grid in
which the cells at the size of resolution are components. The whole point of the
 matter is that the watershed is cigar shaped and a rectangle encompassing this
would be one which would leave a lot of empty cells. If someone is working on th
e application of fractals in this field I would really apreceate it if you e-mai
l me sothat I can give a more detailed explanation.

Thanks,
Sree.