v.digit

Susan Huse sue at ced.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 16 19:18:18 EDT 1994

> I'm having problems with v.digit when starting a new map.  Everything is fine
> until I get to:
>
>    |Shall we continue? [y]                                                        |                                                                              |
>    |Writing Plus File ...
>
> When I press enter I get this:
>
>          major axis, radius = 0, or not spec'ed
>         |                                     cannot initializa pj
>
> and v.digit is aborted.  I have no problems using the digitizer on already
> existing maps.
>
> I have used v.digit to start new maps in the past.  Whats the deal?
>

> Beau Bush
> bbush at ticsys.tamu.edu
> Texas A&M University

That wonderful "cannot initializa pj" message I have found with
reference to the project.  We had an old UTM location that worked
fine for years, but then started getting such problems recently.
If you create a location now, the PROJ_INFO file is not the same
as previous versions.

For instance our old PROJ_INFO file was:

name: Universal Transverse Mercator
ellps: clark66
proj: utm
zone: 10

and the new is:

name: UTM
proj: utm
ellps: clark66
a: 6378206.4000000004
es: 0.0067686580
zone: 10

Either the "a" or the "es" is the major access, I forget which.

Here is what has worked for me.
1) enter grass with a brand new location.  GRASS will prompt
for the information it needs to create the PROJ_INFO file for
this new location.  Make this location the same projection
as your regular location.

2) copy the new PROJ_INFO file back into your regular location.
It is stored in $LOCATION/PERMANENT, not your own mapset.

hope that helps,

Sue Huse
REGIS
University of California, Berkeley