comments desired in r.mapcalc

Steffen Meyer steffen at longs.lance.colostate.edu
Tue Jun 21 20:33:40 EDT 1994

I am developing some long sequences in r.mapcalc.
I am preparing separate files with r.mapcalc language instructions
and wondered if there is an undocumented method
to place a comment into an r.mapcalc input file, for example,
do_it_to_it.mapcalc

On the command line I would invoke
  r.mapcalc < do_it_to_it.mapcalc

The "#" and the "!" and commands are used for other purposes
in r.mapcalc.  I would like something like the
! in r.infer and the
# in r.combine
r.mapcalc responds "you have confused me" if I try different
combinations (sorry for my brutal attempts).

Does anyone have any clever ideas?
Perhaps a comment provision could be added to plans for future releases.

Thanks
Steffen Meyer
IDS Group, Colorado State University

---------- Begin of For_Reference ----------
The r.infer language uses the "!" symbol as a start of comment,
and blank lines can be used to group blocks of operations together.

For example:
  IFMAP elevation.255 170-255
  ANDIFMAP density 3 4
  THEN high elevation with trees
  !

Similarly, the "#" seems to work fine in the r.combine language
as a comment field and blank lines can be used to group blocks
of operations together.
For example foo.comb contains:
  # hello and documentation
  # get the sandstone stuff
  (NAME sandstone
    (GROUP (geology))
  )

--- Begin of screen output ---
GRASS 4.1 > r.combine < foo.comb

Analyses will be displayed in color during execution

Help is available for r.combine: enter (help)
[1]: #  hello and documentation
#  get the sandstone stuff
MAP EXPRESSION

--- end of screen output ---