tcltkgrass: yes or no

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Mon Jun 27 14:52:27 EDT 1994

grass user (grass at omdcdec.gso.uri.edu) writes on 27 Jun 94:
>a SGI and SUN (Solaris2.3).  I have the compiled binaries from moon and also

>My question is this:  Should I get GRASS4.1 going first and worry about
>tcltkgrass later, or can I just jump right into tcltkgrass with not too much\

you must have the former to use the latter.

>to help me get it going if I run into problems?  So I am asking for the
>wisdom of others who have already traveled this road:  Start with GRASS4.1,
>worry about tcltkgrass later, or start with tcltkgrass, it's not much more
>difficult than GRASS4.1 itself?

worry about tcltkgrass later (like when a new version is released).
As I recall, after only 3-4 minutes of looking at it, it became
very apparent that it was never compiled for Solaris. I would suspect
that you would have major problems as well on an SGI.

Don't get me wrong - tcltkgrass is much heralded and probably
works great for some systems. However, there seemed to be a
lot of the source code that was not quite ready for prime time.

I'm holding out for a newer version.

--Darrell