Grass beginner's manual

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Thu Mar 17 17:42:29 EST 1994

On Thu, 17 Mar 1994 DUNN_JS at gold.colorado.edu wrote:

> I just tried to get the GRASS manuals from FTP site
> scanner.frw.uva.nl. but still no luck . It seemd that no file transfer is
> occuring at all. I don't think files can be accessed etc.

I managed to get them last night. It was taking a really long time the
first time, and scanner finally stopped sending altogether, as nearly as I
could tell. I capped the ftp connection, re-connected, and then the
transfer went just fine, considering the time of day.

Remember that due to the time difference, night-time here (with less
Internet traffic) is in the middle of a busy work-day in Europe (with load
peaks everywhere). A good strategy is to figure out a time that is at
least below peak both here and there, or to do larger intercontinental
transfer on the weekend, if possible.

Running the public-domain program 'xearth' in your X root window helps,
too: it displays, in realtime, a view of the Earth from space with
appropriate highlighting due to the relative position of the sun at that
moment. Since I've had that running in the background, I've never, ever
forgotten about timezone differences. :)

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296