Area Edge vs. Line ?

Susan Huse sue at ced.berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 23 14:19:41 EST 1994

> From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Tue Mar 22 19:26:33 1994
> From: rick at cast.uark.edu (Rick Thompson)
> Subject: Area Edge vs. Line ?
> Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
> To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
> Date: Tue, 22 Mar 94 21:11:20 CST
> Cc: rick at cast.uark.edu (Rick Thompson)
>
> Hello. A dig_att file for a vector file digitized in "line" type looks the
> same as one digitized in "area" type. There appears no visible difference
> here, but v.reclass will work on the former not the latter regarding
> reclassing labelled lines. Does anyone know a shortcut for changing a vector
> file from area edge to line type other than doing too many manually in v.digit.
> I've inherited lots of lines in the area edge type. Am I missing something?
> Rick Thompson-   Research Assistant           E-mail: rick at cast.uark.edu
> Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-5736
> Ozark Hall Rm. 12                             Fax: 575-3846
> University of Arkansas
> Fayetteville, AR 72701

The dig att file won't tell you whether it is a line or an area edge.
You need to v.out.ascii.  In that file, "L" is a line, "l" is an
erased line, "A" is an area edge, and "a" is an erased area edge.
Use vi or awk or whatever to change L to A.

If you want to have both, I suggest you use v.digit, or change all
to whichever is most common and then v.in.ascii, and v.digit the
rest back.

-sue
CEDR - REGIS
UC Berkeley