read

Martin Ameskamp ma at informatik.uni-kiel.d400.de
Fri Mar 25 09:33:02 EST 1994

> I am writing a unix shell script which many prompts
> involve echoing statements and reading answers.  However,
> when I run this program I get a read: Command not found.
> Why is it not recognizing read?  I thought this was a standard
> unix command.
>
> Jim

	read is indeed a UNIX function call to be used in C programs
	or such like, but it is also a shell builtin for the Bourne
	and Korn shells (sh and ksh).
	Not, however for the csh.
	Which means that you have to use sh or ksh to use read.

	Martin
--
Martin Ameskamp, Inst. f. Informatik I (Computing Dept.)
Kiel University, Olshausenstr. 40, 24118 Kiel, Germany
email: ma at informatik.uni-kiel.d400.de