multi-g.manuals; concurrency locking

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Sun Mar 27 05:24:50 EST 1994

On Sun, 27 Mar 1994, Simon Cox wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestions, Mark.  Unfortunately, it doesn't
> work for me!  The new xterm does NOT inherit all the settings of the
> parent window - in particular, it doesn't keep all of the PATH environment
> variables - example

This is an effect of the way the shell running in the xterm is invoked,
not of the xterm process itself. The only suggestion I can think of is for
you to see if your xterm will let you force its shell to be invoked as a
subshell instead of a login shell. If for some reason the second shell is
being invoked as a login shell, your environment variables are probably
all getting re-initialized -- thus losing the settings from GIS.sh. My
exterm lets you force subshell invocation with a '+ls' flag on the command
line ('-ls' means to invoke the shell as a login-shell).

I use bash, not csh, so there may be something csh-specific that I'm not
aware of causing your problem.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296