Info on new MAPGEN requested

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Thu Mar 31 09:25:58 EST 1994

>Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 22:09:37 GMT
>Subject: Info on new MAPGEN requested
>From: ront at picea.CFNR.ColoState.EDU (Ronald Thomas)
>To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
>
>Hello again!
>
>Is the mapgen.tar.Z that is in the /grass/grass4.1/updates directory on the
>"moon" a complete replacement for the src.related/mapgen/mapgen directory?
>Will it run with the SCS GRASS/MAPGEN interface 4.11 located at
>src.related/mapgen/SCS ?
>
>Are the versions of 'proj' ( 4.5, 4.6) that are distributed with the
>GRASS4.1 source code current enough to run this 'new' mapgen?
>
>Does anyone have a listing of MAPGEN commands, with a short description of
>the commands, for the SCS 4.11 MAPGEN/GRASS interface?
>
>Has anyone heard if SCS has finished the MAPGEN/GRASS interface
>version 4.12, as mentioned in the src.related/mapgen/SCS/README file?
>
>Any help/advice appreciated!!
>
>Ronald Thomas                                ront at meeker.cfnr.colostate.edu
> Natural Resource Spec. (GIS)         ^^^    Phone: 303-586-1285
>  Resources Management Division  ^^  ^^^^^   FAX: 303-586-1310
>   Rocky Mountain National Park ^^^ ^^^^^^^  Estes Park, CO  80517

I can't answer the question, but I can't help observing: "what a mess."

I had some communications with a GRASS functionary a while back and
we agreed that something needed to be done about release levels and
nomenclature.  But nothing seems to have happened.

Although I was the original source of MAPGEN and its sub-parts, a
great deal of value added work was done by SCS and others.  So I
have no objections to release numbers that have no relation to
my own.

I am a little more sensitive to `proj' releases and possible confusion with
PROJ.4 available on charon.er.usgs.gov.  The charon site is only up
to release 4.3[.0] as compared to the above 4.5 and 4.6 releases, but
I am fairly sure that the release on charon is later than those on moon.

In terms of PROJ.4, it would have been nice if GRASS would have just
mirrored charon, but, alas, they insisted on K&R C code and thus
translated PROJ.4 ANSI C back to K&R and thus severed any tie I may
have with their copy.

Finally, PROJ.4 is compatible with MAPGEN 4.x which I believe is
the basic release distributed with GRASS.

When there are so many contributers to a system such as GRASS, a
strong central authority needs to spend a great deal of time keeping
the releases organized and documented.

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027