Binary distributions vs source code

aprc at mail.nerc-bas.ac.uk aprc at mail.nerc-bas.ac.uk
Tue Oct 4 04:45:47 EDT 1994

James Darrell McCauley asks why people want binary versions, rather than
compiling them themselves. My own experience is the answer! I am an experienced
programmer, having been in the business for about 20 years. I have developed
complex systems. However, attempting to compile a complex system is very tricky.
I have attempted to compile GRASS on a DEC Alpha, which is not one of the
platforms that are in the documentation. I cannot get a clean compilation, and I
do not have the information to find out why - at least, not without spending a
LARGE amount of time understanding the code. There are also substantial system
dependencies - the exact location of X libraries, the exact version of the
window manager - the list goes on. Having failed to get a fully functional
compilation, I am about to give up on GRASS, because I cannot afford the time
that it would take to make it work from source code. If someone were to offer me
a binary version, that I could install fairly simply, I would take it up. Any
offers? I am running OSF/1 version 2 on a Decstation 3000 AXP, with Motif (
whatever the current version is).

Paul Cooper