Determining average value

N R A nra at cix.compulink.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 17:28:00 EDT 1994

Is there a simple program available that will allow me to determine the
average value for a raster data set.

I'm basically using the 'r.water.outlet' program to generate the
catchment area, then using that as a mask on various catchment
characteristics data sets - such as potential evaporation, SAAR, etc.
I've tried 'r.stats -a ' but that gives a breakdown by each value. I can
load the values into a spreadsheet and calculate an average but I'd hope
there was a way to do it in GRASS. I've looked at the 'r.average' but
don't quite understand it - the output is a raster map, what I want is a
single value, e.g. the average potential evaporation.

Cheers,

Steve Culshaw
NRA North West
e-mail : nra at cix.compulink.co.uk (use this for general usage)