Lengths of network - specifically rivers

N R A nra at cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 17:13:00 EDT 1994

Can anyone suggest a method by which I can determine the maximum stream
length in a catchment.

Our hydrology modelling team want to produce FSR reports. This requires
various bits of catchment characteristics data. Some can be obtained from
raster datasets - thanks again to all who helped on the 'averaging'
problem.

The remaining two bits of data are the 'main stream length' and the 'main
stream slope'. I have chatted with the team about what is meant by the
'main stream' and they'd be happy to take the longest stream.

Now I've loaded our digital river network into GRASS. Is there some means
to calculate the longest vector from a specified point. I noticed the
'v.report' command but it just seems produce a breakdown by category.

Thanks again - as usual  8-)

Steve Culshaw
NRA North West
e-mail : nra at cix.compulink.co.uk (use this for general usage)